header image

GORDON DISTRICT SCOUTS

Scouting has had a long history in the North East of Scotland, with Groups being formed in the County and City of Aberdeen as early as 1908 as a result of Baden Powell’s inspiration in writing ‘Scouting for Boys’.

COUNTIES AND DISTRICT ORGANISATION

Up to 1975 the Counties of the North East of Scotland, Moray, Banff, Aberdeenshire and Kincardine had each a County Commissioner and were subdivided into Local Associations.  Aberdeenshire had seven, each with a District Commissioner. In 1975 the local government Grampian Region was formed from these counties, but the decision was taken by the Scouts to adopt the five district set up within the Region, but to be named Areas, so the Gordon Area was created.  The Scouting boundaries tried to conform to the administrative areas.    Reorganisation in Scotland resulted in the formation of Areas under the umbrella of the North East Regional Scout Council on the 1st April 2008. There were eight, including Shetland, and a Regional Commissioner was appointed.

Within the Grampian Region the Gordon Area was sub-divided into Districts - the Western, Eastern and Central. There was an Area Commissioner and three District Commissioners. When the NE Regional Scout Council was created, it was sub-divided into Districts, so Gordon Area became Gordon District, unified, with a District Commissioner being appointed.

Gordon Area Scout Groups 1975 - 2008
 
Gordon Area Scout Fellowship (GASF)
Gordon Area Scout Network

 

Western District
Eastern District
Central District 
  • Explorer Scout Unit
  • Alford
  • Huntly
  • Insch
  • Pitcaple
  • Rhynie
  • Blairmore
  • Strathdon
  • Lessendrum
 
  • Explorer Scout Unit
  • Balmedie
  • Daviot/Oldmeldrum
  • Ellon
  • Methlick
  • Newburgh
  • Newmachar
  • Udny
  • Tarves 
 
  • Explorer Scout Unit
  • Echt
  • Inverurie
  • Kemnay
  • Kinellar
  • Kintore
  • Westhill
  • Pitcaple
  • Port Elphinstone
  • Skene
  • Keithhall
Gordon Badge / Emblem

 

An Aberdeen Angus Bull was chosen as the Aberdeenshire County emblem in 1950. It was on a yellow background with a divided blue line below, representing the Rivers Don and Dee. When sited on the right shoulder it pointed backwards, so its position was changed to the right pocket. In 1967, the image was reversed, the badge reduced in size, and the position moved to the right shoulder. The badge name changed from ‘County of Aberdeen’ to ‘Gordon’ in 1976.

Gordon Area Scout Groups 2008 - Present
 
Gordon District Scout Active Support (GAS)
Gordon District Scout Network
Explorer Scout Units
  • Inverurie
  • Kemnay
  • Kinellar
  • Kintore
  • Westhill
  • Pitcaple
  • Alford
  • Insch
  • Balmedie
  • Daviot/Oldmeldrum
  • Ellon
  • Methlick
  • Newburgh
  • Newmachar

This site uses cookies. Some of the cookies we use are essential for parts of the site to operate and have already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work.